In this post we summarized all the current affairs of second week of 2019 (8th January to 14th January). If you are preparing for UPSC, SSC or IBPS then this article will help you to recall the important events between above mentioned dates.
Current Affairs For UPSC, SSC, IBPS (January 8 to January 14, 2019)
- S Vijay Kumar is the recipient of the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Award for Investigative Reporting (Print category).
- Prof. Gita Gopinath has joined IMF as its first female Chief Economist.
- Kumar Rajesh Chandra has been appointed the new Director-General of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
- Sultan Muhammad V has become the first monarch of Malaysia to resign before completing tenure.
- Nandan Nilekani is the head of the RBI panel on digital payments.
- Pranab R Mehta has become first Indian to head Global Solar Council (GSC).
- Su Tseng-chang has been appointed new Prime Minister of Taiwan.
- Birendra Prasad Biashya has been named as India’s Chef de Mission for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- Mary Kom has been ranked No.1 in the light fly (45-48kg) category by the International Boxing Association (AIBA).
- Malala Yousafzai is the author of the book ‘We are Displaced: My Journey and Stories from Refugee Girls Around the World’.
- Sankar De is the head of the SEBI committee to link research to policy making.
- Jehan Daruwala has become the first In dian to win in the FIA Formula 3 European Championship.
- Vijay Mallya has become the first Indian business tycoon to be named “Fugitive Economic Offender (FEO)”.
- Lady Head constable Rani of 5th Indian Reserve Battalion (IRB) of Himachal Pradesh Police won a Gold medal in 78 kg category in the Senior National Women’s Judo Championship at Visakhapatnam on January 7.
- Dinu Randive has been conferred with lifetime achievement award by the Mantralaya and Vidhimandal Vartahar Sangh.
- Umesh Sinha is the head of the EC panel which submitted its report on digital media and campaigning during last 48 hours before polls.
- Virat Kholi has recently received the honorary membership of the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG).
- Narasimham Ram has been appointed president of the Alliance for Media Freedom (AFMF).
- Bihar left-arm spinner Ashutosh Aman broke the 44-year old record of most wickets in a single Ranji Trophy season by finishing the 2018-19 tournament with 68 wickets.
- Nicolas Maduro has been sworn-in as the new President of Venezuela.
- Adi Godrej has been conferred the ICSI Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Agra is the venue of the 29th Indian Paint Conference 2019.
- Mumbai is the venue of the 25th edition of Partnership Summit 2019.
- Chandigarh is the venue of the 6th Women Of India Organic Festival 2019.
- New Delhi is the venue of the 4th Edition Of Raisina Dialogue.
- Chennai is the venue o f the All India Radio National Poets Conference 2019.
- Pune is the venue of the 2nd edition of Khelo India Youth Games 2019.
Do you Know?
India has been ranked at 41st at the 11th edition of EIU Democracy Index 2018.
As per 2019 Henley and Partners Passport Index, the Indian passport has been ranked as the 79th most powerful in the world.
Country Specific (International Current Affairs)
- Switzerland has clinched the 2019 Hopman Cup title.
- The controversial Citizenship (Amendment) Bill 2019 seeks to provide Indian citizenship to non-Muslims from Bangladesh, Pakistan & Afghanistan.
- Egypt has been named as the host of 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.
- The first-ever India-Central Asia Dialogue at the level of Foreign Ministers is scheduled to be held in Uzbekistan.
- The World Economic Forum(WEF) has recently released the report ‘Future of Consumption in Fast-Growth Consumer Market – India’.
- Egypt has recently opened West Asia’s largest cathedral in its New Administrative Capital.
State Specific (State Current Affairs)
- Gangajal Project, which is in news recently, is launched in Agra.
- India’s longest single-lane steel cable suspension bridge has opened in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Sikkim is set to become the first Indian state to roll out Universal Basic Income (UBI).
- On January 11th Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand have signed agreement for Renukaji multipurpose dam project.
- Andhra Pradesh has topped ACI’s Ease Of Doing Business (EDB) Index 2018.
- Odisha’s state government has announced interest-free loans of up to Rs 3 lakh for Women Self-Help Groups (WSHGs).
- Haryana Government has recently approved projects to revive mythical Saraswati river.
Do You Know?
The theme of the first-ever Global Aviation Summit (GAS-2019) is “Flying for all”.
The theme of the 27th New Delhi World Book Fair 2019 is “Readers with special needs”.
General Current Affairs
- The Union Cabinet has recently approved a reservation at 10% for economically backward’ upper castes in government jobs.
- Airport Authority Of India (AAI) has recently signed MoU with SAMEER for research in Communication Navigation and Surveillance (CNS).
- The Government of India (GoI) has amalgamated three Regional Rural Banks (RRB), Punjab Gramin Bank, Malwa Gramin Bank and Sutlej Gramin Bank – into a single RRB with effect from January 1.
- The Personal Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2018 has stroked out Leprocy(disease) as a ground for seeking a divorce.
- 70 point grading index has been introduced by HRD Ministry to assess quality of school education in states.
- The 2019 Non-Resident Indian Day is recently observed on January 9th.
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has won the ‘Exhibitor of the Year Award’ at 106th Indian Science Congress (ISC-2019).
- The Indian economy is expected to grow at 7.2% in FY19, as per latest estimate of Central Statistics Office (CSO).
- The World Bank has recently released 2019 Global Economic Prospects report which forecasted that India’s GDP is expected to grow at 7.3% in the fiscal year 2018-19, and 7.5% in the following two years.
- IIT Kharagpur has decided to launch 6-month Artificial Intelligence course.
- 2017 is the base year for the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP). The NCAP is a pollution control initiative that was launched with the intention to cut the concentration of coarse (PM10) and fine particles (PM2.5) by at least 20% in the next five years.
- The great Indian scholar Swami Vivekananda was born in Kolkata on 12th January 1863.
Compiled By Team Odisha Sarkari Job